Liberty Resourcessite map
FontSizeFont +Font -Contact

HomeAbout UsSupport ServicesAdvocacyhousingAwarenessResourcesCommunity Events




Housing Counseling

Housing needs of persons with disabilities have historically been overlooked and ignored.
Currently, the laws that exist to ensure accessible housing for persons with disabilities are being violated. Simply, there is not enough accessible housing. This means we must advocate for the housing rights of persons with disabilities and make sure that legislation like Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Fair Housing Act are enforced. We must also educate the public that real, accessible housing is in community settings and not in nursing homes. According to the policies of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), they view nursing homes as real housing. We need to help them think otherwise.

Housing Counselors provide a variety of services to low and moderate income residents of Philadelphia. Contracted by the City of Philadelphia Office of Housing and Community Development and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, the following services are available through our Housing Counselors:

  • Foreclosure Intervention/ Mortgage Default and Delinquency Counseling. There is funding available for Homelessness Prevention. Click here for more information.
  • Anti-predatory Loan Counseling including assisting consumers to apply for a home repair, improvement and energy conservation loans as well as mortgage refinance.
  • Property Taxes and Water liens
  • Assist with LOOP, HOMESTEAD, Senior Tax Freeze Applications
  • Assist with Back Taxes on Property By completing the OOPA (Owner Occupied Payment Agreement) and going through the Tax Court Program with you (New)

Please make an appointment to meet with a housing counselor by calling 215-634-2000 ext. 325. When you come to see a Housing Counselor, bring with you:

  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Proof of income and public benefit award letters for the household
  • Photo ID
  • Bank statements
  • Mortgage statements and delinquency notices
  • Property tax or Water lien information

Housing Counselors will also help with fair housing complaints and violations of Section 504 regarding housing rights of people with disabilities.

We can also help if you live in an institution and want to move to the community.

View the 2017 Fair Housing Newsletter here.